Knowing lots of words helps children become strong readers. Worcester Reads’ Word of the Day (WOD) project will help children learn new words throughout the year. Fall is a great time to explore new words!
Helping kids learn the WOD is simple: Find it. Speak it. Show it.
- Find the date on the WOD Calendar.
- Ask them if they know the WOD, use their answers to define it and use it in a sentence.
- Then use the WOD in sentences throughout the course of the day.
- Post the WOD or WOD Calendar on your blackboards, bulletin boards, marquees, storefront windows, reception desks, Facebook pages, and websites.
- Talk it up with everyone!